[HPADM] Slow netstat command

From: Christopher H Vann (vannc@dteenergy.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 14:50:46 EST

Hi,

A problem raised its head during a Disaster Recovery (DR) test.

We have a remote site with HPUX, Solaris, NT and W2K boxes.
We isolated it to simulate the loss of our main center.
During this test the netstat -a and netstat -r commands took forever to
complete.
The netstat -an and netstat -rn commands worked fine. (no name
resolution)

So, I'm thinking DNS.
However, all nslookups return quickly. I resolved a ton of names and it
came back very quickly.
I resolved some IPs back to names. That comes back quickly.
I ran nslookup in TCP and UDP modes. They both work fine.

Here's our layout.
When going into DR mode we take the DNS slave at the site and flip it to
become a master.
Our clients use that as their resolver.
We resolve our domains and use forwarders to resolve the Internet names.
(W2K forwards to me)
I could not find any names in the netstat output that was not in our
domains. (so no need to forward)
We are running BIND 9.2

We also have a left over box at the remote site running BIND 4.9 that is
a slave to our old master.
We could do a netstat on that box just fine. It also can not contact its
forwarders.

I removed dns from the nsswitch.conf file from a client and it runs the
netstat just fine.
So, it looks like DNS, but nslookup works fine.
What am I missing?

I dumped stats on the DNS box and it's not overworked.
I ran top on it too. That looks fine.

We flipped the new master back into a slave.
netstat is still slow.
We reconnect the network and now netstat run fine on all boxes.

Chris Vann