Re: Restore command error--help

From: Hambleton, John S. (jhamblet@NMU.EDU)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 09:02:16 EST

At 12:22 PM 12/18/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>It's not something I'm at all familiar with but I would
>hazard a guess that it's talking about a physical partition
>map, created when the data was backed up. Following the
>disk crash, you're using a different disk, so the map is no
>longer valid.
>
>What sort of backup was it?
>What's the restore command you're using?

The backup command is:
backup -0 -u -b 200 -f /dev/rmt1 /m1
we do a full, level 0 backup of our application
file system every night

and the restore command is:
restore -b 200 -rvqf /dev/rmt1

The odd thing is that I have replaced hard drives
before and restored from backup in the same
manner, with no errors ever being issued by "restore".
So, seeing "hole in the map" was disconcerting.

Thanks for the reply, Simon!
John H

>Simon Green
>Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
>
>AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
>
>AIX FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aix-faq/
>
>N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
>Please post all follow-ups to the list.

+ John S. "Dilbert" Hambleton
+ Olson Library
+ Northern Michigan University
+ Marquette Michigan 49855
+
+ Phone: 906-227-2741
+ E-Mail: JHAMBLET@NMU.EDU
+
+ Ab alio expectes, alteri quod feceris.
+