Re: Telnet port 25

From: Thierry ITTY (thierry.itty@BESANCON.ORG)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 12:33:58 EST

A 12:10 10/12/2003 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>Can someone point me in the write direction as to how I would easily
>disallow telnet to port 25, but still allow telnet to port 23?
>I.e. I don't want to be able to telnet to port 25 and send mail, but I
>still want to run sendmail, and allow telnet... or am I looking at this
>wrong? Thanks.

if you open the port 25 (usually dedicated to SMTP) you just can't decide
whether the client that will connect there will be a true smtp client or a
telnet one
as you can simulate an smtp session using telnet (btw very useful to
diagnose mail server problems) the smtp server won't be able to distinguish
between a telnet client and an smtp one
the one clue i see right now would be that the smtp server be able to
request a very short timeout on smtp dialog, which would make it impossible
to a human user to simulate an smtp connection

hth