Re: /usr/opt/freeware causes AIX433-51 migration to fail

From: Jeff Barratt-Mccartney (jbarratt@COMPSAT.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 11:35:58 EDT

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) I am getting very good at discovering what will cause a 433-51/52
migration to hang. Here is what I have encountered:

1. hd5(blv) must be at least 12MB. All PPs for hd5 MUST be physcially
placed on the outer edge.in other words, if rootvg has 8MB PPs, hd5 must
be 2 PPs both on the outer edge. You can create a new hd5 that satisfies
the requirements with: mklv -t boot -ae -y hd5 rootvg 2 hdisk0 and then
a bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk0
2. Attempting to migrate with a mirrored rootvg wil cause the migration
to hang at 95%
3. /etc/group must not contain any lines >2048 characters. this will
cause the migration to error on nearly every package to be installed with
sysck errros complaining about 'groupname' is not a know groupname for
'packagename'. in other words make sure that grpck -n ALL does not error,
and verify that you can vi /etc/group
4. broken lpp links can cause the migration to fail. run lppchks
first(-v -l -c)
5. have a good mksysb. you may very well need it