/usr/opt/freeware causes AIX433-51 migration to fail

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 09:37:41 EDT

I tried to migrate a CWS yesterday, an F50, from AIX433-08 & PSSP32 to
AIX51-04 and PSSP35.

Shortly after the migration kicked off, it failed, reporting problems with
rpm.rte. After poking around for a bit we abandoned the migration and
restored from a mksysb.

The problem seems to have been the existence in the 433 system of
/usr/opt/freeware, which as far as I can tell contains all the components of
rpm.rte, but rpm.rte is not installed, (according to lslpp).

As far as I'm aware, nobody has ever fooled with the AIX Toolbox for Linux
on this system. I've got the same situation on two other servers in this
cluster.

Can anyone suggest how and why these files might have gotten there?

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.