Re: How to make errpt write to a syslog file

From: Bruno Misseeuw (brmisseeuw@GE.COKECCE.COM)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 15:49:02 EDT

Bill,
I believe you may be wrong here; apparently it can be done by making the
following change to the odm :
(AIX Rules !! ;-)

    Directing Error Log Messages to Syslog
    --------------------------------------
    You can log error log events in the syslog file by using the logger
    command with the concurrent error notification capabilities of error
    log. For example, to log system messages (syslog), add an errnotify
    object with the following contents:

    errnotify:
       en_name = "syslog1"
       en_persistenceflg = 1
       en_method = "logger Msg from Error Log: `errpt -l $1 | grep -v
    'ERROR_ID TIMESTAMP'`"

    For example, create a file called /tmp/syslog.add, with these
    contents, then run the command odmadd /tmp/syslog.add (you
    must be logged in as root to do this).

    You can use the errlogger command to verify your setup.

I got his feedback from Chris Gregors. Thanks Chris !

Bruno Misseeuw
CCE - Enterprise Systems Management
T: 404 239 7454
E: brmisseeuw@ge.cokecce.com
C: 404 822 2772

                      bill.thompson@goo
                      dyear.com To: AIX-L@pucc.Princeton.EDU
                                               cc: brmisseeuw@GE.COKECCE.COM
                      10/04/2003 12:46 Subject: Re: How to make errpt write to a syslog file

Bruno,

You cannot make errpt write to the syslog file. The data in errpt is
generated by the errdemon daemon. The data in syslog is generated by the
syslogd daemon.

You can get AIX to log messages to syslog files by modifying the
/etc/syslog.conf file but they will not be nearly as informative as the
messages in errpt.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2