Re: user name problem in aix

From: Robert Miller (rmiller@SMUD.ORG)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 14:15:54 EST

Way Back When, I believe that usernames *used* to be limited to 7
characters. I had thought that this limitation had been removed, but
perhaps it hasn't...

Perhaps it's a limitation of the mkuser command/script... not sure of the
ramifications of just slapping a new userid into /etc/passwd and
/etc/security/passwd are, if any, but that *might* overcome that
limitation... I always get nervous when dealing with system-level stuff with
AIX, never quite sure where they might have a hook (or 2) back into the ODM
or Something Weird like that...

--rm