Re: user name problem in aix

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 06:32:49 EST

The limit is 8 characters. I don't believe that it can be changed.
I don't know whether that's the same on other IXs.

If you edit the configuration files to insert a longer userid I'm pretty
sure that all of the user commands will fail - lsuser etc - every time they
come across it. (This may be the case even if you're issuing a command for
a specific userid which is not more than 8 characters.)
Also, login truncates the userid to 8 characters, so you'd never be able to
use it anyway.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.