Re: Urgent : total memory usage

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 11:05:08 EST

"free" is the amount of memory which is completely unused. It will always
be very low in an AIX system: RAM is a valuable resource, so AIX will find
something to do with it rather than have it sit idle. A small amount is
kept free to help cope with sudden surges in demand.

I can't say which column you should use, because I don't know what
information you want and what you intend to use it for. Because of the way
AIX works, (see above), free/inuse is largely meaningless for any purpose.

So: what are you trying to achieve?

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l