Re: Urgent : total memory usage

From: Aaron Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 12:33:08 EST

This discussion about "free" memory is of particular interest to me.
Something that I have never figured out in AIX is how to determine how
much memory is being used by processes, file cache, etc.... I have yet
to read anything that gives a definite way to determine this.

"monitor" in AIX give a number for memory used by 'proc' and 'file', but
everywhere I have read (including the monitor documentation) says not to
trust monitor's memory numbers.

I have a script that adds up all of the RSS numbers from the 'ps'
command, but I know the results are completely wrong.

My question:

How does one determine how much memory is currently being used by file
cache, processes, etc.?

Green, Simon wrote:
| "free" is the amount of memory which is completely unused. It will
| always be very low in an AIX system: RAM is a valuable resource, so AIX
| will find something to do with it rather than have it sit idle. A small
| amount is kept free to help cope with sudden surges in demand.
|
| I can't say which column you should use, because I don't know what
| information you want and what you intend to use it for. Because of the
| way AIX works, (see above), free/inuse is largely meaningless for any
| purpose.
|
| So: what are you trying to achieve?
|
| Simon Green
| Philip Morris ITSC Europe
|
| AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2
| <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2>
| AIX FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aix-faq/
|
| N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will seldom be appreciated.

- --
Aaron W Morris
decep
PGP Key ID: 259978D1