Migrating from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

From: Ron Bramblet (bramblet@FULLER.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 10:39:00 EST

Hello,

I have a RS/6000 7025-F40 machine that is currently running AIX 4.2.1
and Prophet21.
As Systems Admin I have been tasked with the upgrade of this machine.
P21 has chosen the software and also the hardware. I have all of that
ready. My boss was under the impression that P21 would do all of the
upgrade. I talked to T/S from P21 and they told me no it would be me to
do the upgrade.

Are there any known issues that I need to look for when doing this
migration?
I have notes from Prophet21 on how to do it but I was curious if someone

else had done the migration / update and if there are issues I need to
look for.

Here is the basic steps as I understand it.

1) P21 Backup and AIX backup
2) Migration of current version via tape to 4.3.1
3) At least an AIX backup here. (Do I need to do the P21 Backup here
also?)
4) Upgrade of System to 4.3.3 via CD-ROM
5) AIX Backup here (Do I need to do P21 Backup here also?)
6) AIX Maintenance Level 08 Update.
7) P21 and AIX Backup

Can I stop after step 4 if I run out of time? Or do I need to finish it
all.??
Any comments will be greatly appreciated. I have done an upgrade to
another version of UNIX server but not AIX.

Greetings and thanks to fellow Vets today.

--
Ron Bramblett
Systems Administrator