Re: Migrating from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 05:12:50 EST

Four hours was for migration to 4.3.3, plus maintenance to level 8.
However, I'd missed the fact that you were using tape. I've never cloned a
system using CDs with a different version of AIX to that of the mksysb tape;
I'm not sure if it would work.

Just to make sure I understand what's happening, you are:
Moving the system from an F50 to some other system, (unspecified).
Upgrade from AIX 421 to 433.
Apply maintenance to level 8.

If I were doing this, I would adopt a slightly different approach to the one
you're doing.

My first option:
0. Backup system. (Nearly forgot that!)
1. Upgrade existing system on F50 to AIX 433
2. Apply maintenance to level 8, (or 10, perhaps).
3. Backup system.
4. Clone system onto new server, using AIX 4.3.3 CDs.
5. Start applications.

Second option, which is potentially much safer.
1. Backup existing system.
2. Clone system onto new server, using AIX 4.2.1 CDs.
3. Upgrade new server to 4.3.3.
4. Apply maintenance to level 8.
5. Backup new server.
6. Start applications.

The second option offers two key advantages.
First, provided you don't hook it up to the network you can do a complete
dry-run of the upgrade, leaving the existing system running. This will help
you iron out any problems and get accurate timings for everything.
Second, you can abandon the process very easily and go back to the old
system if things don't go to plan.

I'm assuming that your applications and all of their executables etc are on
external disk, so that you can just unplug from one system and plug it into
the new one. If you've got to migrate data that may complicate matters.
Assuming this is correct, then depending on the applications and what use
they make of /var and other rootvg filesystems you may be able to leave the
applications running right until the very end, then stop them and move the
date. I've done this sort of thing myself and simply update selected home
directories over the network. ("tar -cvf - /home/whoever | rsh new_server
tar -xvf - ".)

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe