Re: HACMP, hdisk with no VG assignment.

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 10:53:53 EST

Now that you've exported the VG on your Dev node, you will not be able to do
anything without varying it off on the Prod node.

Strictly speaking you don't have to stop the cluster: you can manually stop
the application and unmount everything, then manually start it up again.
Unless you have an HACMP resource group defined with multiple independent
applications, you might just as well stop HACMP; if the application scripts
are OK, it's a lot less trouble.

Although your cluster's not going to be operational at the moment, if your
Prod server fails suddenly, you should be able to import the VG manually
at that time and get the application up and running fairly quickly.
(Although it won't be automated, so there'll be a delay in detecting the
failure and contacting someone to do the work.) When you come to do your
failover test, it'll only take a few minutes to re-import the VG.

There are some features for updating the VG definitions on all nodes in a
cluster, but I'm not very familiar with them, and whether they can truly be
done with the resource group online.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe