Re: Any issues with AIX 5.1 - ML3

From: Viren Gupta (virender_gupta@TIMEINC.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 13:54:10 EDT

Here are the symptoms that occurred.
The application is written in C++. While the app was running (approx
10 processes)
- simple shell commands like rm, ls -l, df, du against the filesystem
would hang. Could not <Ctrl C> out of the command, had to close the
session.
- topas and other similar commands showed a fixed number of I/O wait
processes, this never changed.
- the kill -9 command would not work, although the prompt was returning.
- even worse could not do a clean shutdown, it would hang at the message
"now unmounting filesystems" - had to do a soft reset from the HMC.

The most peculiar thing was that the same app/data was running properly
 in one partition, same level, setup etc., but causing the above
problems in another. The difference being that the working partition
had a 200 gb filesystem, while the non working one was 750gb.

IBM sent me a long report from another customer with similar symptoms.
The APAR to fix the problem is IY18859. When setting up the partitions
I used JFS for rootvg filesystems, but wanted to exploit the advantages
of JFS2 for others.

Viren Gupta