Re: Any issues with AIX 5.1 - ML3

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust (janfrode@PARALLAB.UIB.NO)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 14:32:51 EDT

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 01:54:10PM -0400, Viren Gupta wrote:
> Here are the symptoms that occurred.
> The application is written in C++. While the app was running (approx
> 10 processes)
> - simple shell commands like rm, ls -l, df, du against the filesystem
> would hang. Could not <Ctrl C> out of the command, had to close the
> session.

This sounds like exactly the same problem as we had, but these simple
commands was only hanging if they touched the right (wrong?) file.
'ls' would work since it only lists directory contents, while 'ls -l'
hung because it tried to read file timestamps.

> IBM sent me a long report from another customer with similar symptoms.
> The APAR to fix the problem is IY18859. When setting up the partitions
> I used JFS for rootvg filesystems, but wanted to exploit the advantages
> of JFS2 for others.

Thanks, will have to check if we have that APAR installed.. hopefully
it's in the standard filesets by now.

   -jf