Re: Memory and swap question

From: Dave.Zarnoch@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 10:56:58 EDT

Real,MB 1024
% Comp 63.9
% Noncomp 35.3
% Client 37.5

PAGING SPACE
Size,MB 3008
% Used 17.6
% Free 82.3

These figures were obtained using "topas"

Dave Zarnoch
UNIX Systems Engineer
SunGard eSourcing
600 Laurel Oak Rd.
Voorhees, NJ 08043
Dave.Zarnoch@sungard.com

                      Bill Verzal
                      <Bill_Verzal@BCBS To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      IL.COM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Memory and swap question
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      09/13/2002 09:54
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

OK - I need to convince management of something. I am hoping the scenario
I am presenting to the list will work. Please be my Guinea pigs.

I have a Regatta node that I believe to be memory constrained. How can we
tell ? We ran out of swap space and the system hung. I proposed adding
memory but was told "they got what they asked for, leave it alone."

So I upped swap space from 512MB to 2GB. Currently it is 13.5% used, which
I calculate out to 276MB.

Can I make the statement "If I add 276MB of memory, our swapping should
decrease significantly" (or some similar statement) ???

Thanks, Bill

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting