Re: Memory and swap question

From: Darryl Ousterhout (D.Ousterhout@LABSAFETY.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 10:50:03 EDT

Bill,

I might be way off here, but why don't you look at tuning your memory? If
bos.adt.samples are loaded, you should be able to use 'vmtune'. All the
tuning tools are located in /usr/samples/kernel. The book "Accelerating AIX,
Performance tuning for programmers and system administrators" talks about
tweaking the memory to get the most out of it. What I would look at first is
the 'minperm' and 'maxperm' values. AIX right out of the box by default has
some 'less then perfect' memory figures. If you tighten these up initially,
it will greatly reduce your paging. Just a thought.

Regards,
Darryl