Memory and swap question

From: Bill Verzal (Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 09:54:18 EDT

OK - I need to convince management of something. I am hoping the scenario
I am presenting to the list will work. Please be my Guinea pigs.

I have a Regatta node that I believe to be memory constrained. How can we
tell ? We ran out of swap space and the system hung. I proposed adding
memory but was told "they got what they asked for, leave it alone."

So I upped swap space from 512MB to 2GB. Currently it is 13.5% used, which
I calculate out to 276MB.

Can I make the statement "If I add 276MB of memory, our swapping should
decrease significantly" (or some similar statement) ???

Thanks, Bill

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting