[HPADM] strangeness in use of secure shell from cron...

From: sid_shapiro@bio-rad.com
Date: Mon Feb 25 2008 - 13:52:22 EST

Hello,
My users noticed a significant slowness running a ssh-oriented script from
cron.

Now I know that secure shell things works quite slowly on HP-UX versus AIX
or Solaris, but I dug further, since he was pretty insistent.

So I ran a simple script and gathered some timings using /bin/time. What I
found that running from the command line, the "sys" time was around 1
second. But when run from cron, the system was consistently between 35 and
45 seconds.

Cron, itself is running at the same priority as the shell.
Can anyone suggest an explanation (and a remedy)?

Hp-UX 11.0, openssl 0.9.7c, openssh 3.7.1p2

oh - and btw - this is not the case on HP-UX 11.11 - there the times are
pretty close to dead even with the same versions of openssh and openssl.

Thanks,
/ Sid /