[HPADM] shutdown abort and security for Oracle

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 08:27:08 EDT

Guys,

I know this isn't an Oracle forum but thought I'd tap the Unix Admins
about these two things to see if anyone else has come up with good
arguments against what appear to me to be bad practices.

1) Oracle DBAs here are running "shutdown abort" in Oracle to stop
it instead of "shutdown immediate". Everywhere I've been before the
scripts would FIRST try the immediate and only if unsuccessful try the
abort. The DBAs here say that doing immediate somehow prevents
successful recovery.

Does this make sense to anyone? Is there any other reason a shutdown
abort would be preferable?

2) The DBAs have setup their security in such a way that it checks
for hosts in tnsnames and if not there won't work. This means if we
have Windows machines shutdown without notifying them it causes
problems. I've not worked anywhere before this that hosts not actually
running the Database impacted the Database.

Does anyone know what kind of Oracle security setup would require
clients to be online? Is there a better way that doesn't require this
but still provides security?

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Unix Systems Administrator

DS Waters of North America