[HPADM] SUMMARY: shutdown abort and security for Oracle

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 15:42:05 EDT

Hmmm - mixed results on this one.

My original questions are at the bottom.

On shutdown abort most folks concurred it should only be done as a last
resort.

Steve Sandau took that position but sent the link

http://www.database-forum.com/ftopic17162.html

which interestingly had DBAs both pro and con on shutdown abort.

Magnus Andersen pointed me to www.ora-600.com and look at the published
article named "Stayin' Alive"

This has a rather good discussion of "shutdown abort" and gave what
appears to me convincing arguments for using it so long as one does it
the way spelled out in the document. Specifically it said it cleans up
shared memory segments which was one of my reasons for posing the
question.

On the security question most folks were mystified as to what would do
this. However Magnus did offer a hint:

Without seeing their tnsnames.ora file it is hard to say. There is one
option where you in the file on the client call a second tnsnames.ora
file using something called ifile. I use this for ease of
administration. I've put it on a server that if it is down they cannot
connect anyway so I don't have the issues you are seeing, but I could
have.

On a more humorous note some Admins indicated my DBAs gave them greater
appreciation for their own. :-)

My conclusions based on the above:

1) "shutdown abort" is a religious issue (like tar vs. cpio)
rather than a real one (like kill -15 vs. kill -9) so long as it is used
properly. (Meaning we'll never all agree on which way is better.)

2) I was correct in doubting the worthiness of a security setup
that impacts the Production database when a client isn't available.

Thanks to all who responded:

Steve Sandau

Magnus Andersen

Peter van Eck