[HPADM] RE: RE: NIC Duplex Settings

From: Burnes, Thomas D (thomas.burnes@hp.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 14:00:39 EDT

Ok, this is how you do it and it is as easy as driving through IN/OUT
restaurant and ordering a double/double 2 by 4 Animal Style with Animal
Style Fries. I will explain it step by step and feel free to speed read
through the stuff you already know. Make note, in this day of age with
all the technology around us, no network should be running anything
other than 100 AUTO; unless you have some ancient machine still up and
running, in that case go buy a 7 dollar switch and configure the switch
to that machine's NIC speed. No need to penalize the whole network over
one old machine that you just can't seem to part with.

1. Shut the system down.
2. After the system is shut down, turn the system off and back on
again.
3. As soon as you get keyboard lights, press the spacebar to
interrupt the boot prompt when it gives you 10 seconds to do so; Note,
for some machines that are slow to activate the video, just press space
bar once very second or so when you first see lights on the keyboard;
that was a feature of the 710s years ago ;). Now you are at the menu
configuration window.
4. Now type CO or co and hit return to go into the configuration
menu.
5. Now type help lanconfig at the prompt and hit return. "Jackpot"
6. Now all you need to do is type the configuration that you want..
Example: lanconfig AUTO_detect
7. It will return a result that you can read that will tell you
what the device will be running at "Success"
8. Now you can test your new configuration by doing an >sea lan
and then hit return to search for bootable lan devices.. This will give
a positive result if you have something on your network that is
broadcasting tftp like an ignite server, if not, you may not get
anything back.
9. Well now to boot the machine in regular mode.
10. At the prompt do a >bo pri and the hit return. When it asks if
you want to interact with ISL (Initial System Loader) type n for no...
That will be another adventure for another day... Your machine should
be booting up as normal.

Good luck,

Thomas Burnes