[HPADM] hppi / jetadmin transferqueue not working

From: Jeff Lightner (jlightner@water.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 16:08:29 EDT

All,

When trying to enable a printer moved by transferqueue utility I am
seeing messages such as:

"printer "yumap1" has disappeared!"

What can be done to make it think the printers are OK?

Details:

I am attempting to migrate printers from one HP-UX 11.0 server to
another. Both were originally at the same version of Jetadmin. The
transferqueue utility allows for this to be done. Previously I
successfully used this utility to migrate printers from the source 11.0
server to target 11i servers. The transferqueue for the target 11.0
server is an older version but gave no errors.

What I've attempted so far:

1) Found that entries for /var/spool/lp/request and /etc/lp/member
were not created so created same by hand.

2) Verified permissions and ownership of all key files / entries
as discussed in various archive and a document received from HP support.

3) Since above still didn't work I removed my original Jetadmin
and installed the replacement HPPNL (E.10.34) which is what was used on
the 11i servers this had previously worked on.

4) Redid the transferqueue run using the newer version of that
utility that came in with the above install.

5) Again created missing request and member files.

6) Worked through all suggestions in DOC from HP to no avail.
This included cleaning up outputq and deleting a printer that didn't
show up in all 3 of lpstat -p, lpstat -v and lpstat -a.

7) Manually added a bogus printer via lpadmin successfully.

If not for item 7 I'd think my pstatus was corrupt but running
/usr/sam/lbin/pmgr -l on it is successful and it DID add the manual
printer.

Does anyone have a clue before I have to manually add the 400+ printers?

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Unix Systems Administrator

DS Waters of North America

678-486-3516