[HPADM] Re: question about disks

From: roger.best@us.hsbc.com
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 14:27:04 EST

you need to create a new volume group (vgcreate) and then do a vgimport
("man" both of these commands) and then mount the volumes.

The /stand filesystem cannot reside on an LVM disk because the thing that
reads the UNIX kernel and loads it into memory doesn't do LVM; thus,
/stand must sit on an HFS filesystem.

Is reloading the OS and option? If so take it.

-Roger

Sent by: hpux-admin-owner@dutchworks.nl

To: hpux-admin <hpux-admin@dutchworks.nl>

Subject: [HPADM] question about disks

G'day folks

I had a disk setup via LVM that was the boot disk for one machine I had.
All of the "partitions" only occur within this one disk. I made the
mistake of moving that disk, not realising that it would no longer boot
the machine when I put it back in its original place (seems like you could
do this for non-LVM disks). Anyway, as you probably figured out I am
semi-retarded when it comes to disks, and especially LVM. I have tried
mounting this disk on another machine, but it won't let me do it (some
message about it having LVM structure). I have searched around the
archives, but haven't found anything because obviously most people who
have any clue about what they are doing wouldn't do what I did.

My first priority is to try and get a couple of files off the disk. The
second would be to make it boot again on the original machine I had it set
up on. Would someone please consider offering me some suggestions on what
to try? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter Unmack

Archives:  ftp.dutchworks.nl:/pub/digests/hpux-admin       (FTP, browse
only)
errors or omissions.