[HPADM] Re: RE: Networking problem

From: rstarr@bellsouth.net
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 13:41:42 EST

Guys,

Your problem may be due to "Dead gateway Detection"
In 10.20 this was turned off by default, In 11.0 it is truned
on. From the host everything looks normal, Lan card up, interface up,
conectivity light on, Even from the switch it appears normal.

I have seen these only on Cisco routers but don't know if the problem is
limited only to Cisco.

If not able to ping a router, usually the default router, HP-UX 11.0 and 11i
systems will lose their route off their subnet or to particular
destinations even though the route is available. The route can be deleted and
re-added, but will be lost again soon after. This is most common with CISCO
routers using HSRP (Hot-Swap Routing Protocol) and firewalls.

What is happening is that the firewall/router is not replying to the periodic
ICMP echo requests that the dead gateway detection is sending from the HP
system. The HP system therefore assumes the route is down and marks it as
"DEAD". This can be verified by issuing the following command:

     ndd -get /dev/ip ip_ire_status

This returns the dead gateway list - examine this for the entry for the route
lost and see if it has "DEAD" marked against it. If so, and you know the
route does exist, then dead gateway detection is the culprit.
Try the following:

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_ire_gw_probe 0
If ndd command does not work then you are missing a patch.
If this works Then set in /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf

TRANSPORT_NAME[0]=ip
NDD_NAME[0]=ip_send_source_quench
NDD_VALUE[0]=0

TRANSPORT_NAME[1]=ip