[HPADM] [SUMMARY] HPUX Ignite (LINUX)

From: Stephanie Chung (stepchung@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 13:59:42 EDT

Thank you all. Following are susggestions for Linux
system recovery applications:

Free free free… There are several apps out there that
aren’t free ;), and they are really good. Redhat has
an app that comes with the distribution, it is call
kickstart.
The link below should get your gears going. I don’t
use Kickstart, eventhough I have played around with it
a little. We have decided to go with a product, just
recently, called altirus since HP aquired the company.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-kickstart2.html
The package you are looking for is called Mondo. It
is
excellent.
http://www.mondorescue.org/

I have used a commercial tool allowing to make
partitions images, build
on Linux: Acronis True Image (around 50$
www.acronis.com)
It is able to write on disks, network, tape, cd
recorders, usb devices.
The manual way:
backup:
Store the partition table and filesystem definition
for each disk
have a list of the specific modules to access disks
and tape.
do a dump of each useful partition
restore:
boot from an install CDROM in rescue mode, or better
use the Crash
Recovery Kit (http://crashrecovery.org/)
if your machine has scsi cards, load the specific
modules you need to
access the disks.
Then recreate the partitions and restore from tape.
Then reinstall the boot (Lilo, grub, etc...)
Have a look at partition image
http://www.partimage.org/
I'm not aware of an Ignite like took for RedHat, but I
use kickstart configs. When I need to rebuild a server
I use original CDs and a kickstart, then restore from
backups. You just need to be careful about which files
to NOT overwrite. There are a few which will come back
to bite you, and a few which will cause the kernel to
panic and make the server unbootable. If you want more
info I can send you a list of the files I have
discovered to be a problem. Every server I build has
it's own unique kickstart, where most of the info is
the same, but hostname is automatically chnaged, IP
address, subnet mask and gateway are customised, and
then the disk config is obviously different as well.
If you haven't used kickstart, I can show you a sample
kickstart config - it's very easy to use, and easy to
build/rebuild servers.
What you may like to go with is g4l:
http://g4l.networks-ltd.de/