[HPADM] Summary: Openview/Data Protector question

From: Scharle, Bob (bob.scharle@ncogroup.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 08:18:14 EDT

Thank you to all that responded.
Alan Riggs
Tom Cheers
Mike White
Mark Graham
Stephanie Chung
Jay DUncan
Wolf-Dietrich Schmook

The overall conclusion is that there is no reason the we should not be able
to run ITO, NNM, and DP cell manager on the same server. I did get some
trouble shooting suggestions, and request for more information but I was
not really looking for people to troubleshoot our problem but thank you
anyway. I just wanted to know if other shops were able to run OTO, NNM,
and DP cell manager on the same server. We have some people here convinced
that it shouldn't be done. But then it is always easier to just throw more
hardware at a problem than to attempt to fix the problem. Once again thank
you to everyone who responded.

Bob

 Original Question
Hi,

We are currently running ITO/NNM and Data Protector cell manager on the same
server which is configured as

N4000
4GB memory
6 - 350 MHz processors
1 - 100MB NIC

We have been getting poor performance and have inquired with HP and their
answer is that is not best practice to run all three products on the same
server. However they will not back up this statement with documentation
which I can understand why. Has anyone had this same problem and what do
you do to resolve it? If purchasing another server is the solution I would
need to justify this with management. Thank you in advance for your time
and cooperation and I will post my summary.

Bob

Bob Scharle
IT Systems - UNIX Administrator
phone: 215-441-3018