[HPADM] Re: Openview/Data Protector question

From: Mark Graham (mark_graham@unxguys.net)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 13:42:17 EDT

Bob,

As a former HPC person and an HP customer, I am not surprised
that HP would recommend that as its likely to be a "best
practices" thing, although I am sure many of us might wonder
if it is marketing best practice or reality best practice...

Although, it seems to me you could be short on RAM and low on
NIC cards, and skepticism aside, you possess the information
that could make the case for or against HP's best practice
claims...

Not sure we have enough information to really advise you BUT
if you have glance/glance+, you can tailor a parm file to
collect performance information about disk, memory, CPU, and
network for each of these apps or if no glance, use top, sar,
vmstat, iostat, et al to see where the bottlenecks are.

Still lots of questions?

Is there really only one NIC card? Lot of data for
travelling down one NIC? All this stuff traveling over one
NIC card? OUCH??? How many hosts is NNM and/or ITO
monitoring. How many OmniBack clients are there?

Is /var/opt/omni, /var/opt/ito/data, and /var/opt/nnm/data
all on separate disks with different I/O paths?

Don't know which ITO you have but with an oracle database,
there are some performance cosniderations when laying down
temp, index, datafiles, archive logs, redo logs, et al (may
be lessened by SAN)...

You have three different apps that may require three
distinctly different performance profiles from a disk, swap,
and/or kernel perspective? Have you been monitoring your
kernel tables?

Lots of questions before anyone can really answer this one...

Mark