[HPADM] OT: Thoughts on Linux, Future? or not?

From: Ayson, Alison {Info~Palo Alto} (alison.ayson@ROCHE.COM)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 19:04:47 EDT

I haven't posted in awhile so I hope "OT" is still the right symbol for
"Off Topic"

I've been an HP-UX administrator for over 10 years (some Solaris and SGI
too, but mostly HP-UX). Lately there has been a big push within our
company to look at Linux, specifically RedHat (AS 3.0 and 2.1). It
seems that everyone wants to jump on the Linux bandwagon, but I'm not
convinced Linux is the all-encompassing solution that so many seem to
think it is.

The biggest motivation for moving to Linux is financial (from the
"higher ups" that is). The hardware is cheaper and so is the OS.
However, it's been my experience--so far at least--that what you save in
hardware and software you quickly use up in Sys Admin time. I have
spent so many hours trying to get a particular driver to load, or a
piece of "freeware" software to compile; something that would have taken
minutes on an HP-UX server. And support from RedHat is a joke! The
quickest response I've gotten so far to a reported problem was 72 hours
(usually it's 2 weeks, one question has been pending for 3 months no
with no response). Luckily we bought 1 year of support from HP for one
of our Linux servers; I can get an answer from HP fairly quickly. So far
we have very few Linux servers so I haven't gotten overwhelmed----yet.
However if I had 20 or so linux servers to maintain, and everytime I had
to make some sort of change to that server I had to spend hours
recompiling the kernel or whatever...the situation could quickly become
a nightmare.

I wondered what some of the other HP Sys Admins out there think about
Linux? Have your experiences been positive or have you experienced some
of the same difficulties.

Thanks for any feedback.

  -- Alison Ayson
     Roche Bioscience