[HPADM] Moving Printers from one system to another

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 10:56:46 EDT

Hello All,
This is the procedure I did to copy all of my network printers to a new
system but I cannot seem to get any print jobs to print on the new system.

1- Stopped the spooler on the target system using lpshut
2- On the Source System I did
sam
      Peripheral Devices
         Printers and Plotters
             LP Spooler
                Save/Restore Spooler Configuration
                   Actions
                       Save Spooler Configuration
3- cd /var/sam
         tar -cvf - lp | remsh Target_System "(cd /var/sam; tar -xvf -)
4- On the Target system I did
sam
   Peripheral Devices
      Printers and Plotters
         LP Spooler
            Save/Restore Spooler Configuration
               Actions
                  Restore Spooler Configuration=
5- On the target system I started the spooler using lpsched
All of the printers show up on the target systems and show they are enabled
and accepting request but when I do:
lp -d syspr /tmp/aaa
It queues the print job but never prints. I waited for 15 mins and it was
still in the queue. I had to cancel the print job. I went into sam again
and went to Printers and Plotters then did action/add a network
printer/jetdirect and selected option 3 for diagnostics. I then selected
option 3 to test network printer accessibility and it failed saying that my
printer and ip address must be in the /etc/host file or in DNS. These
entries are not in /etc/hosts on the source systems nor are they in DNS and
the work just fine on the source system. I went ahead and added them into
the /etc/hosts on the target systems and the diagnostic passed and the test
print in the diagnostics passed but from the command line it just hangs in
the queue. I deleted one printer and re-added it and it prints fine now.
Any suggestions so I do not have to delete and re-add all of these printers.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix Systems Administrator
Schnuck Markets, Inc.