[HPADM] RE: -[SUMMARY]-Moving Printers from one system to another

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 10:55:58 EDT

Thank to all that replied. Original question at the end of this email. All
good suggestions and I tried every one of them. Unfortunately none of them
worked. Kevin Hutcheson and Rick Starr suggested that the versions of
/opt/hpnpl should be the same. The versions of /opt/hpnpl (Jetadmin) are
not even close to being the same. Both systems are HP-UX 11.00 but the
versions of /opt/hpnpl are way off. I tried Kevin Hutcheson suggestion to
copy /opt/hpnpl from the old box to the new but that did not work either. I
ended up creating each printer on the new system. All suggestions are
listed below. As a test after I created the printer I used Tyrone's'
suggestion:

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -S -xsavedir=/tmp/lp

Then I used a the script provided by Bill Hassell to delete the printers on
the new box. Then I used:

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -R -xsavedir=/tmp/lp

to restore the printers on the new box again and this all worked fine. So
in summary I believe the JetAdmin versions must be the same. Once again
thanks to all.

Kevin Hutcheson:
Make sure /opt/hpnpl is also copied to the new server.

When complete, you should be good to go.
To Verify:
lpstat -a
lpstat -t
Select a printer, and send a test print.

Rick Starr:
I have done that same procedure 1000times. For some reason once in a while I
get a corrupt pstatus and/or qstatus binary file. But, Generally I make sure
the spooler is down on the source and target, re-run the printer clone
procedure and everything works fine. Is version of hpnp* the same on target
and source?

Bill Hassel:
The JetDirect software is not good at handling large quatities
of printers. The /etc/hosts issue may be an artifact, and not
needed to add a printer. I have not seen the SAM save/restore
printer stuff work well with JetDirect printers. For dozens to
thousands of JetDirect printers, just do this:

--On the original system, create an addqueue script:

cd /etc/lp/interface
grep ^PERIPH= * \
| tr "=" " " \
| tr ":" " " \
| cut -d" " -f1,3 \
| awk '{print "/opt/hpnpl//bin/addqueue -q ",$1 " -h ",$2 }' \
> /tmp/addqueuescript

--ftp this script over to your new system.
--delete all the printers on the new system. Test the syntax with
this:

lpstat -v|tr -d ":" | awk '{print "/usr/sbin/lpadmin -x",$3}'

and if looks OK, put the word eval in front: and save to a temp
file:

lpstat -v|tr -d ":" | awk '{print "eval \"/usr/sbin/lpadmin -
x",$3}'\" > /tmp/delprinters

--Then run the /tmp/delprinters, check with lpstat -v

--Now run the /tmp/addqueuscript. This will add all the printers
that are turned on and connected to the network. If a printer is
dead, addqueue will timeout. Add these few by hand using addqueue
once the printer is online again.

Tyrone Muscat:
This is how I copy printers:

Source Machine:
/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -S -xsavedir=/admintools/scripts/lp

Destination Machine:
/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -R -xsavedir=/admintools/scripts/lp
/usr/sbin/lpsched

I set this up to run in cron each night to make sure all my machines have
the same printers defined. One of the benifits I setup the printer on the
source machine and each night it gets copied over to all my destination
machines.

Thanks,
Jim Naylor
Unix Systems Administrator