[HPADM] Re: HP/UX NIS to LDAP

From: Steve Bonds (ugvgml902@sneakemail.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 18:21:14 EDT

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Marshall, Richard Richard.Marshall-at-arbella.com
|hpux-admin| wrote:

> We are in the process of developing the requirements for our new HP/UX
> RP8420 system environment and there has been some discussion about
> migrating from our current NIS process to manage user accounts to LDAP.
> I have no experience using LDAP and started reading as much as possible
> in order to understand the benefits of using LDAP, but as always would
> like to include the experience of the "REAL WORLD" and would welcome all
> comments and suggestions.

I'm working on something similar, so while you all are thinking about
LDAP, let me know what you think of this:

I've seen too many reports of various issues using pluggable
authentication modules on HP-UX. Most of these are no fault of HP-UX, but
rather are problems with people writing applications that falsely assume
either NIS or /etc/passwd authentication are in use and there are no other
possibilities. In order to avoid this, I've come up with a scheme to keep
all the authentication data in LDAP but write a script that generates an
appropriate /etc/passwd file for each server and sends them out.

My biggest concern is that something will go wrong with the transfer and
the /etc/passwd file ends up blanked out. The script that does the copy
will go to great pains to avoid this.

Has anyone else implemented anything like this? What sorts of problems
can you forsee?

Thanks,

  -- Steve