[HPADM] Re: reboot necessary after setting time back?

From: Harm Ensing (ensin001@hdxh0e.unix.telecom.ptt.nl)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 10:44:00 EST

Hello again,

Here the summary concerning my question:

> My problem is that we have a system where the clock has been
> set formard by one hour.
> We want to reset the time, so go back to the future.
> Some of my colleagues are pertinent that a reboot of the
> system is necessary after using the date command.
> As far as I can tell a reboot should not be necessary.
> Stopping all critical (user) processes should be sufficient.
> Any views on this matter?

Thanks to:
Bryan Douglas Quinn
Mark D. Schupsky
Kevin O'Donovan
Steve Illgen
Edward
Eef Hartman
Julius Szelagiewicz
Mike Blanchette

The overall view is:
- bring down all applications
  (no need to go to single-user mode, no reboot necessary)
- reset the time using the date command
- check for possible cron-jobs that might run twice
- if possible don't restart applications until the amount of
  time you switched back has elapsed.
- if that is not possible make sure that the application handles
  the time-issues properly.

There was mention of using the date command in conjunction with the
ntp-protocol to adjust the time slowly.
I don't think this is an appropriate option in this case since the
time difference is too great and the synchronisation would take too long.
(Thanks for copying -part of- the man page into your answer and
explaning the function of the TZ variable, but I was aware of that ;-)

Thanks all.

-Harm Ensing-