[HPADM] The impact of an internal domain name change and DNS Server Changes.

From: Balaji Nathan (balajinathan2003@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 10:21:39 EST

Hi admins,
I have 2 issues:
Issue 1:
We have 15 different model Unix servers (D,K,L, N) running on 10.20, 11.00 and 11i.
Our primary DNS is currently running on windows 2000. This primary windows 2000 DNS server's ip address is defined on all the unix servers /etc/resolv.conf file.
Our Backoffice team is in the process upgrading the DNS server onto Windows 2003. (Active Directory Intergrated DNS - ADIDNS)
Does Active Directory Integrated DNS respond to resolver requests, differently than a standard primary zone on Windows 2003?
Will HPUX have any problems using ADIDNS?

Issue 2:
Currently the unix servers are on a domain name called zone1.com. In the resolv.conf file under /etc, the first line is:
domain zone1.com
On the windows DNS server, all the unix servers have the record (A record ?) under zone1.com domain. My backoffice team also wants to change the zone1.com domain name onto some thing else. They want to consolidate everything into one domain.
The question is:
How will the UNIX applications be impacted by an internal domain name change? Will the reverse lookup to a different client domain name cause problems using the UNIX applications? How can the change be validated?
I think I asked so many questions.
Please help.
Balaji