[HPADM] Re: PA-RISC Binaries Running on Itanium?

From: Neal.Collins@iag.com.au
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 19:30:06 EST

Note: This e-mail is subject to the disclaimer contained at the bottom
of this message.

:
HP-UX 11 on itanium comes with a PA-RISC emulator (called Aires) which
allows you to run PA-RISC executables on an Itanium HP-UX machine. It
works very well - much better than we expected!

However, be aware that you cannot compile PA-RISC programs on an Itanium
host, so if you are developing code to run on PA-RISC you have to keep a
PA-RISC machine available. Also some products like Oracle which do
relinking at install time cannot be installed directly onto an Itanium
host (however once installed on a PA-RISC host, the software can be copied
to an Itanium host and runs fine). This only applies to the PA-RISC
versions of course, the native Itanium versions can be installed no
problems.

--
Neal Collins
Technology Services

        To:     "Hpux-Admin (hpux-admin@dutchworks.nl)" <hpux-admin@DutchWorks.nl>,
isabelle_licoine@hp.com, jerry_lacasia@hp.com,
pierre-antoine_darbon@hp.com, justin_warren@nospam.aus.hp.com,
fernando.gomez@hp.com, spp@cup.hp.com, chuckm@_canada.hp.com,
luca@_linux.taiwan.hp.com, Eric_Zucker@_om.hp.com, hans_loos@_hp.com,
hans_loos@hp.com, rafael@cup.hp.com, rhernandez@hp.com, davidm@hpl.hp.com
        cc:
        Subject:        [HPADM] PA-RISC Binaries Running on Itanium?
Folks,
I have a customer who claims to have taken one of our products
compiled for HP-UX PA-RISC, and run the binaries on his
HP-UX Itanium.
Now, I know that the Linux Virtual Machine is a marketing
feature for later releases of HP-UX, but I thought I'd heard
something about cross PA-RISC/Itanium compatibility as well.
Is this true?  Are there versions of HP-UX that run either
PA-RISC or Itanium binaries?  And, if so, which versions?  And,
if not, is it a plan in HP's future?
Regards,
Christian Bryant
Software Configuration Manager
818-575-4087
Symark Software
30401 Agoura Road, Suite 200
Agoura Hills, CA 91301
http://www.symark.com
Main: 800-234-9072 or 818-575-4000
Main fax: 818-889-1894
Not just secure.  Symark secure.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies of this message.

 Archives:  ftp.dutchworks.nl:/pub/digests/hpux-admin       (FTP, browse
only)
:
The information transmitted in this message and attachments (if any)
is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
The message may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon this information, by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this
e-mail and associated material from any computer.
The intended recipient of this e-mail may only use, reproduce, disclose or
distribute the information contained in this e-mail and any attached files,
with the permission of the sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and cleared by MailMarshal.