[HPADM] RE: Oracle Database on separate physical disks

From: Daiminger, Helmut (HELMUT.DAIMINGER@wwk.de)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 07:18:48 EST

Hi Stuart,

the answer is: it all depends... ;)

Of course Oracle performance is better if you distribute your data files
across as many disks as possible (as a rule of thumb). But it is important
to know the I/O behavior of your application.
If you don't want to do SAME, then make sure that th eonline and archived
redo logs are put on separate physical disks (because of the sequential I/O
pattern on them). Data tablespaces usually get random I/O.

If you have an Oracle DBA on site, ask him to find out the database tables
that get most of the I/Os. Usually, about 10% of the tables get 95% of the
I/Os. Then you can think about moving some specific tables to differenty
physical disks.

hth,
Helmut