[HPADM] SUMMARY: Sybase and shared memory

From: Kazakin, Leon (Leon.Kazakin@CIBC.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 15:33:22 EST

Thank you all.

I copy 2 most helpful responses here.
> I was approached by a DBA and requested to increase shmmax
> from 1,53GB to 3 GB on 4GB RAM N class and 5 GB on 6GB RAM N class.

   Hummm. If the DBA is really going to use all that shared memory, the
  performance will be AWFUL since data and processes will always be
  swapping in and out. You can set shmmax to a large value and then
  increase Sybase's use of the memory until page-outs (from Glance or
  vmstat) start moving into the double digit area for many minutes.

> Those systems run 64-bit Sybase and that's pretty much it for the
workload.
> It's HP-UX 11.

  It doesn't matter what application you are using. You'll need several
dozen
  megs for the opsystem, several hundred (up to about 500 max) for the
  buffer cache and a few megs for the applications. Generally, having one
  VERY large share memory segment is not too efficient unless you enable
  large memory pages for the Sybase executables that will access this
  memory. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of TLB misses (called page faults in
  Glance). This is a hardware register issue and definitely needs to be
  considered for massively large data areas. The chatr program can change
  an executable to utilize large memory pages.

Bill

--
Best regards,
Bill Hassell (blhconsulting@mindspring.com)
From: Abramson, Stuart
I think that the rules are the same.  If you are using 64 bit applications
you can use big shared memories.
I would see what the system runs "empty" with glance, and then set shmmax to
the remainder.  There's not a lot of point to swapping out your shared
memory.
# /usr/contrib/Q4/bin/kmeminfo
kmeminfo (3.11)
libp4 (5.17): Opening /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem
Date: Thu Dec 18 14:08:05 2003
Processing pfdat table (2042785 entries)...
Physical memory usage summary (in pages):
Physmem        = 2097152  Available physical memory:
  Freemem      = 1091460    Free physical memory
  Used         = 1005692    Used physical memory:
    System     =  451878      by kernel:
      Static   =   54367        for text and static data
      Dynamic  =  183653        for dynamic data
      Bufcache =  209715        for file-system buffer cache
      Eqmem    =      47        for equiv. mapped page pool
      SCmem    =    4096        for system critical page pool
    User       =  507069      by user processes
      Uarea    =    4440        for thread uareas
    Disowned   =   50864      disowned pages
A "page" is 4096 bytes:
.  My kernel uses 451878 x 4096 bytes/page = 1.8 GB
.  My pesky users use 507069 x 4096 bytes/page = 2.X GB
So, I could set shmmax to 4 GB on an 8 GB machine.
You want to ensure that your maxdsiz_64 and his little friends (_64 friends)
are set correctly.
	Stuart
I was approached by a DBA and requested to increase shmmax from 1,53GB to
3 GB on 4GB RAM N class
and
5 GB on 6GB RAM N class.
Those systems run 64-bit Sybase and that's pretty much it for the workload.
It's HP-UX 11.
I have some Oracle tuning experience, but none with Sybase.
Any thoughts?