[HPADM] Defrag VxFS Filesystems

From: Dave T. (davidlt77@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 09:30:51 EDT

I sent the following on Friday, but I never saw it appear in the HP-UX
mailing list:

I’m planning to perform defragmentation of HP-UX VxFS filesystems and Oracle
filesystems on our 11.0 and 11i boxes, using fsadm. I’ve searched the Web
and ITRC for gotchas, and following is what I have found:

1. Run the defrags after hours, due to performance implications.
2. Defrags can be run in full-blown multi-user mode.
3. Defrags on HP-UX 10.x can potentially cause data corruption, if not
patched properly. (This doesn’t affect our systems, since we’re on 11.x.)

For those of you now scratching your head because you’ve never defragmented
a UNIX filesystem, and you’re curious when you should do it, read the
following excerpt from the man page of fsadm_vxfs:

      To determine whether a file system is fragmented, the free extents for
      that file system must be examined. If a large number of small extents
      are free, then there is fragmentation. If more than half of the
      amount of free space is taken up by small extents (smaller than 64
      blocks), or there is less than 5 percent of total file system space
      available in large extents, then there is serious fragmentation.

Does anyone else have any other tidbits about performing defrags that would
be useful?

Dave