[HPADM] [Summary] trashed stack

From: Unternaehrer Stefano (stefano.unternaehrer@ti.ch)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 07:43:39 EDT

Thank you Medaglia, Chris [cmedagli@Lifelinesys.com]
which informed me about a patch related with the
"trashed stack" message.

http://www5.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHKL_27282&cont
ext=hpux:800:11:00

> PHKL_27282:
> ( SR:8606258511 CR:JAGae22811 )
> Applications which are compiled for the 32-bit data model
> and run on a 64-bit kernel can sometimes abort with the
> messages: "Pid <nnn> killed due to trashed stack. Pid <nnn>
> was killed due to failure in writing the signal context."
>
> In most cases, the application was compiled with +O2
> optimization or uses alloca(3C) with a computed size
> argument.
>
> Resolution:
> For 32-bit programs, the kernel will now use only the lower
> half of the stack pointer register, which is the correct and
> complete address.

This patch is for HP-UX 11.00, for 11.11 it is PHKL_27283.
Since this patch discusses 32-bit address translations,
it could be a source of performance issues, so the patch
MAY help as well.

Original question:
------------------
Some time ago, I wrote asking for help about
a "process killed due to trashed stack".
By the way, the killed process belongs to an http
server (TomCat), which uses java sevlets.
Aynel Hossain told me to do some tune with ndd,
but this network parameters are nightmare for me.
Does someone of you have good knowledges on this
domain and give me some light?

Best regards,
Stefano

---