[HPADM] RE: Involuntary removes.

From: Lodge, David (David.Lodge@capitalone.com)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 12:26:22 EDT

I urge you *not* to do this. It is very *bad* to alter the default behaviour
of the Operating System. There are several reasons for this: (in these
examples I'm assuming the /etc/profile has the line alias rm='rm -i' in it)

1) People get used to the aliased behaviour. Then when a new system comes on
board they will expect it to work as the old one did. I have seen a
colleague expect rm to prompt and delete several important files
2) When the OS gets patched all your careful aliasing is overwritten, which
causes the same issues.

This will leave you with two potentials:
1) Create an alias rmi='rm -i' and get users to use that (or call it del if
you have a lot of DOS users)
2) (My preferred) Educate your users that rm will *permanently* destroy
files. The Unix utilities are devised to do what the user wants; not supply
them in a fluffy protected world where every action is questioned.

dave