[HPADM] SUMMARY: Must fsck be run in single-user mode?

From: Dave T. (davidlt77@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 10:55:19 EDT

Many people provided their opinions. Thanks!

Some said fsck must be done in single-user mode, others said it doesn't, and
some said it depends. The truth is that it depends.

fsck should only be run on filesystems that are unmounted. To fsck
filesystems that are used by the system (/, /var, /usr, /tmp), you must drop
to single-user mode. For other filesystems, you just need to unmount them
and run fsck, and you can do this with users on the system, and everything
else running. Of course, if you have an application or database that uses
the filesystem that you need to fsck, you must bring them down first.

Dave