[HPADM] logins fail

From: Chris Fleming (chris_fleming@agilent.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 12:54:00 EDT

I've a problem with user logins that I've not seen before. I suspect
that this might be a no-brainer but we've been looking at this most of
this afternoon and havn't made any progress.

When users log on to the machine, the login is freezing, initially the
/etc/profile is run, the copyright notice is displayed then nothing
happens, hitting ctrl-c multiple times seems to break out and return a
prompt.

In order to rule out profile type problems, I've moved /etc/profile and
~/.profile out of the way and still have the same problem.

/etc/passwd looks file, I can't see any errors reported anywhere.
Checking for processes, no processes beyond the login shell are running.
The root login works file but all user logins fail. Login mechanism does
not seem to make any difference.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?

Cheers
Chris Fleming