[HPADM] RE: Summary: NIS Question

From: Johnson, Craig E (Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 11:45:36 EDT

Thanks to all who responded: Jon Bidinger, Nahkola Mikko, Jothish.

I absolutely have the "B=-b" set in the Makefile and never even knew it! :)
Thanks again!

Craig

attached mail follows:

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 03:36:40PM -0700, ext Johnson, Craig E wrote:

> I am seeing something very strange. There were a few clients, both Sun
and
> HP, that were lacking a /etc/resolv.conf file and an /etc/nsswitch.conf
> file, so DNS wasn't working locally. Both were bound to NIS servers that
> DID have both of those files, which in turn had "dns" specified in the
first
> entry of the hosts line in nsswitch.conf. Here's the thing:
>
> # ypmatch hpserv24 hosts
> 139.21.xxx.xxx hpserv24.mch4.....
> # ypcat -k hosts | grep -i hpserv24
> #
>
> So, it gets resolved even though it isn't present in my local NIS maps.
How
> is this possible? Is the NIS slave/server actually using DNS, as
specified
> in the nsswitch.conf file, to resolve it and return the IP to the NIS-only
> client?

I'm not sure but I've read about something that would sound familiar ...
now where's my copy of "Installing and Administering NFS Services" ...
(the edition covering 10.20 ACE/HWE seems to be B1031-90043, I should
have a newer copy around somewhere, and it should be on docs.hp.com and
the CDs too.)

There is indeed a feature that is sometimes called "server-side hostname
fallback" that, when turned on, should make your NIS server do the DNS
query in question and return that through NIS.

This is "not recommended if you have a choice" and seems to be turned off
by default on HP-UX, but can be enabled easily by editing
/var/yp/Makefile. The critical part would be the -b switch to makedbm
(see the man page).

Now, I have never tried to turn that on myself, but I'd expect that the
results would be somewhat like you describe.

--
Mikko Nahkola   <mikko.nahkola@nokia.com>
Tre-IN sysadmin <mnahkola@trein.ntc.nokia.com>

attached mail follows:

Depending on how your NIS is setup it can be configured to refer to
DNS if the host queried isn't in it's maps.

On a Sun system it's at about line 20 of the /var/yp/Makefile

# Set the following variable to "-b" to have NIS servers use the
domain name
# resolver for hosts not in the current domain.
#B=-b
B=

--
Jon Bidinger     | "How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a
leg?
                 |                                      --Abraham Lincoln

attached mail follows:

Nis server can resolve from DNS if B=-b option is set in /var/yp/Makefile ..

Jothish