[HPADM] NIS Question

From: Johnson, Craig E (Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 18:36:40 EDT

I am seeing something very strange. There were a few clients, both Sun and
HP, that were lacking a /etc/resolv.conf file and an /etc/nsswitch.conf
file, so DNS wasn't working locally. Both were bound to NIS servers that
DID have both of those files, which in turn had "dns" specified in the first
entry of the hosts line in nsswitch.conf. Here's the thing:

# ypmatch hpserv24 hosts
139.21.xxx.xxx hpserv24.mch4.....
# ypcat -k hosts | grep -i hpserv24
#

So, it gets resolved even though it isn't present in my local NIS maps. How
is this possible? Is the NIS slave/server actually using DNS, as specified
in the nsswitch.conf file, to resolve it and return the IP to the NIS-only
client?

Thanks for anything!

Craig

Craig Johnson