[HPADM] RE: [SUMMARY] hot-swap safety

From: Julius Szelagiewicz (julius@turtle.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 15:22:00 EDT

Dear Admins,
        got answers from Cris Medaglia, Ilic R., Ben Le and Mikko Nahkola.
(the original post below). 2 answers "yes", 1 "yes but hp makes us shut
down first" and 1 "it should work, but it depends".
        Remembering that this is not the first failure and that I have
mirror *and* spare, I just yanked the bad drive out and put the new one
in. Not a hiccup. Did reboot late at night and found a small surprize -
the boot info is NOT updated, so the system still has the primary boot
path pointing to the device that is now spare, as another disk was
promoted to primary. My options are to either change the boot info or to
yank one of the two active disks. I will remove the disk when the system
is somewhat quiet, just to make sure that the new spare is really
operational and has no problems. make_tape_recovery works fine now.
        Thank you, julius

Original post: