[HPADM] Adding an additional SCSI device

From: JackTebbe@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 09:29:56 EST

Admins,

I have an old HP 715 that is our FTP server that needs to have additional disk space. Currently it has two drives, one 1 gig and another that is 4 gig. I have an external drive that is four gig that I wish to add. When I add this drive to the 50 pin SCSI external port, the unit hangs and if I go into IPL there are no SCSI devices available. I did a little reading (RTFM :-D ) and the HP manual states that any new drives should get the SCSI id of 5. I then set the SCSI ID of one of the existing drives (not the boot drive)ID's to 4 and hooked up the new drive to no avail. The machine would not boot, complaining of no "quorum" could be established or some such thing. The boot failure flew by on the screen to fast. What I am missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

John