[HPADM] Runaway Process- What to capture?

From: david fox (david_unix@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 16:16:27 EST

Hi:

We are constantly having a runaway process of our
xemulator window manager process (wm process). the wm
process(32 bit) runs on n-class 11.0 servers 64
bit.Now, what details i should capture to find out the
root cause? Here is what i am doing now.
1. ps -ef |grep username <owner of the runaway wm
process>. It appears that not even once the parent of
the runaway is init, but the shell script (session.sh)
the xemulator session startup.

2. tusc outputs (but here also no luck as i am just
getting a message that the process is getting attached
but no real meaningful outputs)

3. kill -3 to produce a core(nothing happens here. the
prompt comes back)
kill -6 kills the process. but no info there too.

please help as this is happenning on the production
box. Please lead me onto something here.

Thanks
David.