[HPADM] Failed fsck

From: Arturo Matiz (Arturo.Matiz@vitas.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 12:50:16 EST

A data disk failed fsck after a crash and diskinfo confirmed it. After a complete power OFF/ON the disk was fine and file system mounted okay.

I copied then a directory with "tar", replaced the disk, and when restoring the directory the new disk failed again, in the same spot.
I also copied some files and directories to /tmp and other servers.

Since the file system was mounted and diskinfo showed to be okay, I thought there was no data corruption and safe to do a "tar".
I replaced the disk again, and now I'm typing all the scripts again, as I'm afraid to repeat the corruption if I "tar" or copy the files back.

Question: Was this case a strange case, or is this what to expect? If I copy ( cp & rcp ) back the files, do I run also the risk of copying the corruption ?

thanks...

>> running: HP-UX rogue B.11.00 A 9000/800 76823 two-user license
>> System crashed during a database dump and writing to the failed disk.
>> the file system rest on three disk...and c0t9d0 failed.
# strings /etc/lvmtab
/dev/vg_sybdata
/dev/dsk/c0t5d0
/dev/dsk/c0t11d0
/dev/dsk/c0t9d0
>> fsck showed: Can't read BLK: 35543376......and by the way, it was the last block.
>> I ran the fsck manually and it failed every time.
>> the failed disk :
# diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c0t9d0
SCSI describe of /dev/rdsk/c0t9d0:
             vendor: SEAGATE
         product id: ST39173WC
               type: direct access
               size: 8891556 Kbytes
   bytes per sector: 512
>>Two weeks ago, syslog complained about this disk with SCSI: Abort Tag -- lbolt:#### and SCSI: First party detected bus hang -- lbolt:546430381, bus :0......but HP support could not detect nothing wrong and it contributed to a high I/O spur...or tunning problem.

Arturo Matiz
305-350-6934
arturo.matiz@vitas.com
Vitas Healthcare Corp.