[HPADM] SUMMARY: single user multiple login sessions

From: Radhakrishnan (hcl@centuryenka.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 00:05:45 EST

Thanks to manikandan,Bill hassell,Edward, Robin Marquis,vishwanath.

All of them mentioned about the kernel parameter maxuprc value which has
to be increased.
I checked on our testing server by increasing the maxuprc value it does
work on that.

My original post :
We faced a problem yesterday in D210 server, we have single user for
finance login, and after 16 logins we are facing the problem of logging
in for the same user. On 17th login it gives unable to allocate disk
quota. We didn’t implement any disk quota in the system, then it gives
/etc/profile (31) error , this refers to the setting of the env variable
PATH, and fork unable initialize the process
But at the same time apart from finance root or other users can login
without any problems.
I checked up in other HP system (RP5470) with multiple login sessions of
same user I didn’t face any problems more than 25 such logins.
What does really happening there, is it something do with memory in
server and kernel settings?
Some body gave me some funda that if same user has multiple login
sessions it does slow the server and gives such fork errors.
But I am not really satisfied with these answers. Please give me proper
inputs on this.
Some of the replies
gangadharan.manikandan:
check of the kernel parameters
nproc---->Total number of user process.
maxuprc--->mamimum no. of user processes
It seems that it is unable to fork a new process.

check the value of maxuprc and compare it with ps -ef|grep <username>
Edward:
There are several (kernel) settings limiting the amount of logins per
user:
 - max. # of processes per user
 - max. # of open files per user
 - max. # of open files total
 - max. # of (virtual) tty's
 - max. amount of swap available
 - # of user licenses

to name a few. Increasing these parameter could be a workaround, but it
could also effectively halt your systems if you push it too far. However
convenient it would be to use only one single user ID, it's still not
the best of ideas. For example: how will you track which user did what
in case someone screws up your data. My advice would be using unique
user ID's with a shared application profile.

That was my 2 cents' worth.
And of course Bill hassell:
There is a limit to the number of logins--indirectly though. Te kernel
parameter is maxuprc which is the maximum number of user processes that
may be started by a single user. My guess is that during login, this
user starts several processes in /etc/profile and .profile. The simplest
way to see this is to use ps -u and count the processes:

ps -u finance | wc -l

or whatever the user's login might be. If this
number is close to the kernel's maxprc then that
is the reason. Once the limit is hit, no further processes are allowed
to be run for this user. Change maxuprc to 500 and rebuild the kernel.

Thanks once again for ur immd replies.

Radhakrishnan
Customer Engineer
HCL INFOSYSTEMS LTD

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user of the
e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged. If
you are not the addressee of this e-mail you should not copy, forward,
disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify us by telephone
or e-mail the sender by replying to this message, and then delete this
e-mail and other copies of it from your computer system. Thank you.

We reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through our
network.

This message has been scanned for viruses and if any
dangerous content has been there, it has cleared by
the Mailscanner.It doesn't ensures that the email is
Virus free or error free.CEL will not be responsible
for any of the above errors.
CEL-MAILSCANNER.