[HPADM] DLT 8000 & Omniback speed

From: Jeff Higgins (sbitech@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 10:12:33 EST

Greetings,

I have a K460 running HP-UX 10.20 with OmniBack 3.10 and a 300GB Oracle
8.0.6 database. The K460 has a 4 slot HSC expansion I/O card. The top
two slots are A3404 Fiber channel to an EMC 3430. The bottom two slots
are A2969 F/W SCSI to a DLT Surestore E 2 drive 20 slot rack unit. One
of the SCSI goes to DLT drive 1 and the other SCSI goes to DLT drive
2. There are no other SCSI devices present.

OmniBack is configured for drive stripping. This all works great, but
I noticed the other day that the DLT would write for 15-20 seconds and
then go idle for about 4-6 seconds. This happens throughout the backup
cycle. I understand that this idle time is why it is taking 4.5 hours
to back up the 300GB database.

If anyone else has come across a similar problem and could give me some
pointers on how to resolve the streaming pauses, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Regards, Jeff